Well, when you're inspired and have a good tutor you can sure get heaps done in pretty short time! I started cutting out the fabric at 4ish yesterday afternoon and between settling Giles, eating dinner & chatting to Mark, by midnight I'd finished the diaper purse up to this point! Only the handle and velcro closure to go.
I tried out my bias binding maker and it worked pretty well. I'm glad you gave the hint about the longer piece at the back, wow that makes a HUGE difference. Not one bit of bias was missed in the whole bag. It is sure difficult to sew around all those bends and angles though. I'm really pleased with how this turned out. Thanks for the great instructions Jacq. I was running back and forth from the kitchen to the back room with the computer every 5 minutes but I figured it out in the end. I even managed to put the pocket on the right way up!
We're off to Nan & Pops as it is ANZAC day and Mark has the day off. I'll finish it this afternoon and post more pics.
PS. forgot to say that I modified the velcro closure for the wipes container and tucked the ends underneath the container itself and snapped it shut (as one does when they have snaps!) I don't even mind the three snaps as part of the embellishment on the front. If you didn't want them to be visable at all, you could do that too by measuring carefully and snapping the inside fabric before serging them all together. You'll get what I mean when you see the other pics.....
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Monday, April 23, 2007
Yep...my new obsession...one of them.
I'm always on the look out now for woolen wovens. My hands run down the racks of hand offs at the Sally Anne, anxiously anticipating the tell tale feel of a woolen sweater. Why? To felt of course. I'm slowly collecting different styles, patterns and colours in order to create wee felted jackets, patchworked together from other's throw aways. I can't adequately describe what is in my mind...so you'll just have to stay tuned.
I discovered these two sweaters at the Sally Anne my last visit. I excitedly...expectantly stood over the washing machine (not really!) to see what would happen. The bottle green will be added to the collection for further projects...but the pink 1980s Eddie Bauer sweater felted so nicely into a wee girls sweater I can't stop grinning...it's soooooo cute. The weight is perfect for a cool/cold/snowless day, replacing the snow suit jacket the kids live in. Even the buttons are just right. The skier motif is hilarious...I put off putting away my snowboard and learning to ski in fear of looking like this skier... bum out and all! ;)
I'll never look at a rack of horrid, dated sweaters the same again!
Well Amber, I finally did it. The tutorial is ready! Boy, I never realised how difficult it is to explian something you do without really thinking about it. Photos help, yes, but not as much as you would think. Let me know if you have any feedback/queries.
The purse pictured is for ME! Yep I finally made something I don't intend to give away...just yet anyways. I was so excited by how it all came together. A few disappointments, I'll admit, in the final finishing, but that's what I get for rushing...besides I think I'd be the only one that notices. I hope. Such a Virgo...perfection, perfection.
Please, any interested others, use this pattern only for personal use not for making purses to sell. This pattern took me a long time to perfect!
Friday, April 13, 2007
I saw you del.ici.ous'ed these cute pinnafores 9 hours ago. Can you believe I bookmarked a link to Alicia's pattern a mere 20 hours ago. I swear, great minds think alike! You can download the 'Smocket' pattern from her website, The Mayfly.
As I don't have a little girl to spoil with this pattern I thought I'd upsize it and make one for me! What do you think....
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I made these toques awaiting the next babe of the feminine kind to arrive. Well I had to wait a long time!! Finally, little wee Ava Brynn Schultz arrived and do you think I could decide which to give her?
She got both!
I love the little kanzashi flower on the white and wedgewood blue toque!
Thanks Amber for the tutorial.
Monday, April 2, 2007
As our not-so-little man is not-so-little anymore, carrying him on my front can be tiring on my lower back after a while. While the Baby Bjorn we've been using is still awesome for quick trips out and about, it's that time of day when he's getting crabby & I'm trying to prepare dinner that the front pack just isn't cutting it. (It's hard to get anything done when can't see your hands!) I've been looking around at slings & carriers that I could sew & could be worn on your back. I decided to make 'Beths Mei Tai'. There are lots of patterns out there but I chose this one as she had fantastic step-by-step instructions, with photos included (imperative for the novice sewer) and it was a Mei Tai/wrap combo with really wide unpadded shoulder straps that I felt would distribute the weight better. This design has a pocket and sleep hood included. I added a strap with a press-stud snap (just have to use my snap machine ;) ) for keys.
It took a couple of nights, and one morning of Narnie babysitting Giles to get it finished. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Groovy looking and super comfortable! It is a little big for Giles' short legs (Mark says he's doing the splits) but it means it will be good until he is quite a bit older. It is sewn from lightweight canvas so is really strong, but also soft & comfortable.
I love it. Easy to sew & comfy to wear. Giles loves being in it when we cook dinner in the evenings .We'll report back after a shopping trip or the like as to how it fared......